Thursday, January 8, 2009

Battlestar Galactica Primed for Take-off...

In the end the inevitable happened - I put in the order for Battlestar Galactica. I have been on the edge regarding this game for some time. I purchased most of the games I truly desired in my last order and there were few remaining games that caught my attention. Battlestar was one of them.

I have always wanted to add to my collection a cooperative game with a 'traitor' element. I enjoyed a pure cooperative game like Pandemic less than I expected - I concur with certain reviews that deemed it a puzzle to be solved. A 'traitor' seems what is necessary to give such games a jolt. 

Saboteur possesses that element but is far too light for my liking. It is no doubt however a good filler for casual, non-gamer types. I may add it to my collection eventually. 

Shadows over Camelot has been the representative game of this genre for some time. However, the price point coupled with the supposed lack of meaningful decisions put me off.

Battlestar Galactica truly intrigued me. It appeared to have more depth than Shadows but I was rather concerned about the lengthy game time. This was accentuated by reviews indicating that the game can be a drag at points. Lastly, the theme worried me. While I am a great fan of the TV series, my wife isn't. She and most females who game with us regularly (read: Mun) don't take well to the space theme (read: Race for the Galaxy). Thankfully, the innovative jigsaw mechanics of Galaxy Trucker kept it from collecting dust on the shelf as a white elephant.

Anyway, I took the plunge today after seeing it go for a decent price at DeepDiscount.com. A couple of bucks less than most online retailers plus free US shipping on it as a single item was enough for me to make the purchase. It is currently out of stock but the site continues to take orders based on the promotion and will ship once stock arrives. Matt will only be returning in June so there should be more than sufficient time for the game to reach him before the holidays. So barring any accidents, I should be seeing the Battlestar on my gaming table in about 6 months. In the meantime, I will have to contend with watching the rest of Season 2 and hopefully Season 3 on okto eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment