With the slew of euros coming out for the iPhone/iPad, I decided to see if I could come out with a list of some sorts to keep my wallet in check:
1. Universal App or iPad version? Since the main attraction for me is really playing the game on-the-go with friends round the table on an iPad.
2. Game I haven't tried or one I don't like enough to own? At the price of a Starbucks Frappe, a mighty attractive option for sure.
3. Online implementation of some sorts? Samurai has been highly addictive in its asynchronous online mode, 'nuff said.
4. Round-the-table/Hot-seat multiplayer format? The pass-and-play format doesn't appeal to me since I find it easier to get others to sit around and stare at a 10" screen then to pass a device around. Boo for the games with hidden info though...
5. Plays more than 2? Smallworld would be a straight purchase if not for the developers nerfing it to only 2 player multi.
6. Price. My current inclination is to pay US$4.99 for a game with online capabilities like Samurai and Carc and US$2.99 for a game without, like NS Hex and Tichu.
Not all my purchases so far meet all the criteria but check out mostly:
Tichu - Misses on 2 & 4. 3 on the way.
Samurai - Misses only on 4 due to hidden info.
Carc - All hits baby!
Roll Through The Ages - Misses only on 3. Unlikely but at least AI on the way.
NS Hex - Misses on 4 due to hidden info. 3 on the way.
I hate gushing but Carc and Samurai are superbly done. All future releases should hopefully seek to emulate what they offer.
Eldritch Horror - Session Report
6 hours ago